History of the La Crosse Country Club

The first announcement for the formation of what is now known as the La Crosse Country Club appeared in the August 5, 1900 issue of the La Crosse Chronicle. The announcement noted that plans were being made to organize a Club and to purchase the necessary land in the Miller’s Coulee including the farm of John C. Smith and the Wheeler property. The immediate plans were to build a golf course and a Clubhouse. As matters turned out, the first arrangements were to lease the Miller land and to proceed with the building of a facility, which provided showers, lockers, space for dancing and a porch for serving lunches. Citizens of La Crosse were invited to sign up for membership. By the end of the month, the founders had made arrangements for stagecoach trips every one-half hour to the grounds on Saturdays.

In 1994, at the expiration of a land lease agreement with the City of La Crosse, the La Crosse Country Club was fortunate to move to its new location in Onalaska. An Arthur Hills designed golf course was built along with two swimming pools, tennis courts, and a new Clubhouse.

Photos compliments of La Crosse Public Library Archives, the La Crosse County Historical Society, and Eric Wheeler.